Hyundai Creta Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well, they do have the infrastructure of a small car to convert into EV, recently the Tata Nexon came out in EV form but at approximately 15 lac INR.
Hyundai might bring about the Venue EV variant.
Currently, I am seeing a lot of e-veritos around the city, it looks like they are being offered under 10 lac INR.
Although I am very sceptical with the usage of electric vehicles as I do not believe they will bring down overall carbon emissions. Electric vehicles will help improve air quality within the cities but on an overall scale, I do not see an advantage as India's majority of electricity is coal-generated.
N range looks like a sporty car to zip around the city for sure.
@Driving Saint
Please find below the reliability of India currently on thermal power.

MW% of total production
Total Thermal
2,30,701​
62.8%​
Coal​
1,98,495​
54.2%​
Lignite 6,760 1.7%
Gas​
24,937​
6.9%​
Diesel​
510​
0.1%​

looking at these graphs going electric will only put more load on our energy generation and as we can infer from the graph that India is 62%+ dependent on thermal power, we would not be doing any environmental good in terms of reducing overall pollution.

·
Registered
36 Posts
For me, the best enthusiasts car at a bargain has been a used 1.8-litre Skoda Laura TSi. It belted out around 160bhp of power and could do 0-100kmph in around 8-9 seconds. Also, that engine was/is pretty mod-friendly and a simple tune could take it up to around 200bhp making it probably one of the cheapest price to bhp deal out there in the market.:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
123 Posts
For me, the best enthusiasts car at a bargain has been a used 1.8-litre Skoda Laura TSi. It belted out around 160bhp of power and could do 0-100kmph in around 8-9 seconds. Also, that engine was/is pretty mod-friendly and a simple tune could take it up to around 200bhp making it probably one of the cheapest price to bhp deal out there in the market.:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Isn't it the same engine as on the VW GTI? yes, a stage 2 upgrade would easily make you cross the 260 hp mark.
A 1.8 tsi laura would cost about 8-10 lacs in the used car market right now?

·
Registered
111 Posts
@Driving Saint
Please find below the reliability of India currently on thermal power.

MW% of total production
Total Thermal
2,30,701​
62.8%​
Coal​
1,98,495​
54.2%​
Lignite 6,760 1.7%
Gas​
24,937​
6.9%​
Diesel​
510​
0.1%​

looking at these graphs going electric will only put more load on our energy generation and as we can infer from the graph that India is 62%+ dependent on thermal power, we would not be doing any environmental good in terms of reducing overall pollution.
A very interesting find @highwaywarrior, analyzing this situation it feels like EV's would not be doing us any good if we continue to burn coal for running our battery-powered vehicles in the name of saving the environment.
Currently, the thermal efficiency of a coal powerplant on average is about 31% whereas gasoline and diesel engines are above the 35% mark. Also, I don't think that the government is so cautious when it comes to managing smoke and gas emissions of their own functions.
Mercedes has invented an engine that is able to use 50% of the energy generated via an electric generator assisted motor.
A more detailed outlook has to be taken in this situation, I shall look up this topic in detail ad get back to you.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Isn't it the same engine as on the VW GTI? yes, a stage 2 upgrade would easily make you cross the 260 hp mark.
A 1.8 tsi laura would cost about 8-10 lacs in the used car market right now?
I would also recommend the mini cooper s if you could stretch your budget a little or an old lancer cedia if budget is of higher concern.
Both these cars can put out a lot more power than stock with some easily swappable aftermarket parts.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts